Below is a list of the latest resources available relating to trail development, maintenance and management in Nova Scotia. This page is updated as new resources become available.
Trails Manual – Developing Recreation Trails in Nova Scotia
A detailed manual covering trail construction, maintenance and management.
NS Trails Annual Report
COVID-19 Trail Signage
This signage was developed in partnership by NS Trails, Recreation Nova Scotia, NS Connect, and the Province of Nova Scotia, and outlines COVID-19 precautions to take on trail. Signs are available in English, French, Arabic and Gaelic. Mi’kmaq language signs will be available soon.
Reopening Parks and Trails Webinar
The Canadian Parks and Recreation Association hosted a webinar “Reopening Parks and Trails” on June 11th, 2020. During this hour-long webinar, you will hear from national, provincial and local organizations about how they are reopening. The webinar aims to facilitate discussion and share experiences and resources. Speakers include: Mr. Mathieu Roy, Vice President of Trail Development and Management, Trans Canada Trail Mr. Mike Redpath, Director, Regional Parks, Parks and Environment, Metro Vancouver Mr. Justin Ellis, Senior Associate, RC Strategies + PERC Ms. Jodi Robillos, Director of Parks, Forestry & Environment, City of Mississauga
- To watch the webinar recording, visit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikrXfBvDhG8
TCT National Guidelines and Survey Results
Trans Canada Trail (TCT) has developed national guidelines intended to provide consistent operational and management practices that all trail operators should consider taking to mitigate the risk of transmitting COVID-19 through the trail environment.
- To download the PDF, click here or visit: http://thegreattrail.ca/national-guidelines-lignes-directrices/
- TCT National Survey Results (May 2020): To download the PDF, click here or visit: https://thegreattrail.ca/national-survey-results/
Accessible Signage Guidelines
This document outlines Information on creating informative trail signage that is accessible to all users:
- To download, click here.
NS Trails COVID-19 Guidance for Trail Groups
These documents outline guidance from Nova Scotia Trails Federation Risk Management Committee regarding COVID 19 and trail construction, maintenance, and monitoring:
- Preventing the Spread of COVID-19 (May 1, 2020)
- Trail Maintenance Checklist (May 1, 2020)
- Guidance April 9, 2020
- Guidance March 26, 2020
VIDEO: Hosting Virtual AGMs
Hosted by Sport Nova Scotia and Halifax law firm Wickwire Holm, this webinar is about hosting virtual AGMs in the COVID-19 environment.
- To download the accompanying PowerPoint presentation, click here.
- To view the new provincial regulations and guidelines for groups and society’s hosting AGMs during the State of Emergency, click here.
WEBINAR: Governance Workshop with Grant MacDonald
This webinar is intended to help trail organizations around the Province who rely on volunteer boards. It is led by Grant MacDonald, a well known advisor to non-profit boards. To watch the webinar, click here.
Additional Governance Resources:
- Grant MacDonald’s website, Governing Good: www.governinggood.ca
- Recreation Nova Scotia Governance Video Series: https://www.recreationns.ns.ca/governance-videos.html
VIDEO – Ellen Kehr: The Story of Albert Lea
This video is a special presentation by Ellen Kehr, Organizational Lead of the Blue Zones Project in Albert Lea, Minnesota. The Blue Zones project transformed the overall wellbeing of the community and resulted in improvements in tourism, local economy, population, health indicators, and quality of life. This presentation was given at the Pictou County Wellness Centre on October 24th through a partnership between Active Pictou County and the Province of Nova Scotia.
NS Trails Documents
- October 5 2019 Board Meeting
- June 15 2019 Board Meeting
- April 27 2019 Board Meeting
NS Trails Annual Report
NS Trails Promotional Material
- NS Trail Guide Rack Card
- Trail Etiquette Rack Card
- Charitable Donation Program
- Donation Graphics
- NS Trails Folded Pamphlet
- NS Trails Info Handout
- VIDEO: Presentation by Gerry Post, Executive Director, Nova Scotia Accessibility Directorate on the Accessibility Act and what it means for volunteer trail builders and managers.
- The following two resources were provided to NS Trails by Lashauna Smith, Senior Policy Analyst, Accessibility Directorate, Department of Justice (902-424-8541, firstname.lastname@example.org) as a recommendation for trails groups looking to learn more about trails accessibility:
- AODA Pathways to Recreation – This document was developed based on public spaces standards developed in Ontario under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. Page 11-15 contains information on recreation trails.
- Chapter 1 has an overview of outdoor spaces persons with a variety of disabilities.
- Chapter 3.5 has some good information on Recreational Pathways and Hiking Trails
- Section 6.5 – some technical considerations for a variety of recreational facilities including recreational pathways and hiking trails.
Ontario’s Cycling Strategy
Engaging Youth in Trails
Trail Market Readiness Assessment Tool
Destination Trail Economic Impact Study
Best Practices in Achieving Economic Benefits from Trail Development